Food Lover? Plan a Vacation to These U.S. Cities
When it comes to planning a vacation, what do you look for? Do you search for locales close to the beach? Do you enjoy spending time in the mountains? Or do you have other priorities? Perhaps, you’re a foodie! And, if that’s the case, then you search for places where you can experience some great cuisine.
There are tons of great cities where you can taste some delicious food and also have a great time visiting the area. Erma Bombeck once said, “I’m not a glutton. I’m an explorer of food,” and if you want to explore some cool cities and indulge in some worthwhile calories – check out these places.
- New York City: While New York City is called “The Big Apple” – it’s not exactly apples they are famous for! When you visit the largest city in the United States, you’ll be able to try some of the things that it’s known for – hot dogs from street vendors, New York style pizza slices as big as your head, delicious bagels, and much more. And, while these casual foods are great, there are some excellent restaurants located in New York. Daniel Boulud, Marcus Samuelsson, Marc Forgione, and Eric Ripert are just a few with restaurants here.
- New Orleans: The Big Easy is full of great food! With Cajun, French, African, and Creole influences all found here, you will be delighted by the tasty treats you can sample. Beignets, gumbo, po’ boys, étoufée, jambalaya, and red beans and rice are waiting for you in this Louisiana city. You’ll also find restaurants by Emeril Lagasse, Nina Compton, and Troy McPhail for nicer meals.
- Chicago: When you head to the Windy City you definitely need to try the Chicago deep-dish pizza – it’s like no other. You also may want to try a Chicago dog, Italian beef, and some Chicago-style popcorn from Garrett’s. Be sure to make a reservation (or two) at restaurants by chefs like Stephanie Izard, Rick Bayless, or Grant Achatz.
- Nashville: The Nashville culinary scene is spectacular! Be sure to stop by Hattie B’s for some famous Nashville Hot Chicken – it’s not to be missed – and the line moves quite quickly. You’ll love biscuits and gravy for breakfast and meat and three for dinner. Pick up a famous Goo Goo Cluster for dessert. And, if you need to wet your whistle, you can always drink some sweet tea or if you want something a bit stronger – a Bushwhacker!
- Portland: When you get to Portland, be ready to sample all sorts of food. Voodoo Donuts is a must! Be sure to grab their famous maple bacon donut. Head to Pok Pok for wings and get a big ice cream cone from Salt & Straw. Portland is also home to several James Beard award-winning chefs like Naomi Pomeroy and Greg Denton.
Each of these cities also offers some great food tours if you’re looking for a little guidance when you arrive. Most tours will have you visiting several restaurants as you stroll for several hours in various neighborhoods.
These are just five of many great cities across the United States where food lovers can enjoy a great vacation. Did your favorite city make the list? Which city is your favorite when it comes to food and travel?