Summer Vacation Destinations Kids Will Love
Have you started planning a summer vacation? Are you thinking of heading to the beach? To the mountains? They all sound pretty great.
But when you bring up the idea of summer vacation to your kids, do you get the infamous eye roll? Or, do they even tell you that they’d rather not go on vacation? It can happen.
Trying to find a vacation spot that makes the whole family happy can be hard, but start by looking for destinations that the kids might enjoy – because you’ll probably love them, too!
- Outer Banks, NC: If you’re heading to the Outer Banks, you can’t help but think of the amazing beaches. You can spend your days enjoying the sun, boogie boarding, or fishing. But the Outer Banks offers much more than that for kids. There are museums, a water park, the NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island, lighthouses, state parks, and tons of mini-golf courses. Even on a rainy day, you can find things to keep you busy!
- Yellowstone Park, WY: If you have children who love to be outside, think about heading to Yellowstone Park. Everyone can go hiking, fishing, geyser hunting, and searching for wildlife. And if the kids still aren’t tired, go biking, rafting, or visit the wildlife center to learn about grizzlies and wolves.
- Cape Cod, MA: Another great beach destination is Cape Cod, but there are other activities here, too. Whale watching is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that kids will never forget. There’s also a fantastic inflatable park there and numerous arcades and mini-golf courses. There is both an indoor and outdoor waterpark, summer baseball, and museums and wildlife to explore, too.
- Williamsburg, VA: Believe it or not, history can be fun! And some kids really love it! If you put Williamsburg on your radar for a summer vacation, you can enjoy lots of history by visiting Colonial Williamsburg, Historic Jamestown, and the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown. But you don’t have to spend all of your time reliving history, you can also head to Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion and hit the roller coasters. Plus, you can head to Virginia Beach if you need some time by the water.
- Chicago, IL: Big cities have a lot to offer, and Chicago is no exception. You can visit museums like The Field Museum, the Chicago Children’s Museum, and the Museum of Science and Industry. And don’t forget about the Brookfield Zoo, Navy Pier, Shedd Aquarium, and the LEGOLAND Discovery Center.
- Myrtle Beach, SC: Myrtle Beach has…the beach – of course! But it has more than that, too. You can take the kids to a show at Medieval Times or the Carolina Opry. There are museums, a zoo, an aquarium, and high ropes adventure courses. And a boardwalk for exploring at night – while you enjoy some ice cream or a milkshake.
- Gatlinburg, TN: With the beautiful Smoky Mountains creating a scenic background, Gatlinburg has a lot to offer families. Hiking, rafting, and tubing are all popular activities in this area. And then there’s Dollywood, Under the Sea at Ripley’s Aquarium, WonderWorks, and MagiQuest. You’ll also be able to play mini-golf, head to the arcade, or take in a show!
Summer vacations can be fun for everyone when you pick the right destination. Think about the activities that you and your kids like to do and work from there. Hopefully, when you do this, you’ll have a vacation filled with fun and lasting memories.