Signs of a Great Boss
If you’re lucky, you’ve had a great boss in your life. They make work enjoyable and help you grow as an individual. But how do you know if you have a great boss? There are many telltale signs, but we’ve narrowed it down to 20 of the most common ones. Keep reading to find out if your boss is one of the good ones!
- Your boss is always available when you need them: They’re never too busy to lend a helping hand or give you some words of wisdom.
- Your boss is supportive of your professional and personal goals: They want to see you succeed in all aspects of your life.
- Your boss challenges you to be better: They push you outside of your comfort zone and help you grow as an individual.
- Your boss trusts you and gives you the freedom to do your job: They know that you’re capable, and they allow you to work independently.
- Your boss makes time for you: Not just for work stuff but also to catch up and see how you’re doing.
- They listen to your ideas and suggestions: Even if they don’t use your suggestions, they at least hear you out.
- Your boss is human: They make mistakes too but are quick to own up to them.
- You can have difficult conversations with your boss: You can talk to them without feeling like you’re going to get in trouble.
- They give credit where it’s due – whether it’s publicly or privately: They make sure you feel appreciated for a job well done.
- Your boss advocates for you: Whether it’s with other departments or upper management, they stick up for you and have your back.
- You feel like part of a team, not just a cog in a wheel: Your boss makes you feel valued and appreciated as an individual.
- They lead by example: A good boss will not only say the right things but will also do the right things.
- Your boss has boundaries: They separate personal and professional as much as possible and maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Your boss respects your boundaries: If you have established boundaries (i.e., not responding to emails after work hours), a good boss will understand why you have those boundaries in place and respect your need for them.
- They act not only as your boss but as a coach and mentor: A great boss is always looking to develop great talent and will do their best to help you advance and grow.
- Your boss works to develop a positive culture and a cohesive team: Job seekers today are definitely interested in working someplace where the team gets along, and the culture is strong – and if you have this, you have a good boss.
- Your boss communicates with you: There needs to be a level of transparency at work, and a good boss will communicate with you as to what is happening.
- They provide constructive feedback: One of the ways you grow is by receiving feedback on your job performance. A boss who cares will give you that in a way that benefits you and moves you forward.
- Your boss knows how to lead a meeting: Yes, this is definitely a sign of a good boss. Do they have meetings just to have meetings? Or do they have meetings with a purpose and structure them to get things done in the least amount of time possible?
- Your boss shows empathy: Yes, empathy does have a place at work, and a good boss will show empathy to you and your team members.
A great boss can make a huge difference when it comes to job satisfaction. If you see some of these signs in your boss – then count your lucky stars because you’ve probably got a good one!