Must-Listen True Crime Podcasts
The popularity of true crime podcasts has grown exponentially over the past few years. These popular podcasts cover a wide range of topics and have captivated listeners not only from within the United States but also around the world. From serial killers to unsolved cases, these podcasts are sure to satisfy your curiosity and keep you on edge.
- Serial: Serial is a podcast from Serial Productions, a New York Times company, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Serial unfolds one story – a true story – over the course of a whole season. The show follows the plot and characters wherever they lead, through many surprising twists and turns. Sarah won’t know what happens at the end of the story until she gets there, not long before you get there with her. Each week she’ll bring you the latest chapter, so it’s important to listen in, starting with Episode 1. New episodes are released on Thursday mornings.
- Unsolved: While no longer in production, there are three great seasons of this podcast.
- More often than we’d like to believe, people get away with murder. As cases grow cold, cops retire. Witnesses die. Evidence disappears. Unsolved, a true crime podcast series from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, guides listeners through these real-life mysteries, uncovering new clues along the way.
- Season three of Unsolved tells the story of Father Alfred Kunz, whose throat was slit inside St. Michael School in 1998. Some believe his death was linked to his battles against evil. Others believe his all-too-human flaws were to blame.
- Season two of Unsolved, released in 2017, examines the case of toddler Michelle Manders, who vanished from her bedroom in the middle of the night in 1981. Did she wander alone into the darkness? Or was she kidnapped?
- Season one of Unsolved, released in 2015, explores the circumstances surrounding the death of 14-year-old John Zera, who disappeared from Franklin High School in 1976. The seven episodes follow investigators through decades of dead ends as they hold on to the hope of finding the killer.
- Sword and Scale: The Sword and Scale true-crime podcast is an immersive audio experience covering the dark side of humanity and human nature. Our stories delve into the worst of the worst and include murder, rape, dismemberment, and cannibalism. The worst monsters are real.
- My Favorite Murder: Lifelong fans of true crime stories Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark tell each other their favorite tales of murder and hear hometown crime stories from friends and fans.
- Case Closed: Case Closed is a true crime podcast about the times the bad guy didn’t get away with it. On season 3 of Case Closed, we look at the murder of Barbara Weaver, an Amish woman who was found shot dead in her Ohio home. But this story is so much more than a murder in the night. What secrets were hiding behind the perfectly manicured fields of Amish Country?
- The Vanished Podcast: The Vanished is a true crime podcast that explores the stories of those who have gone missing. The Vanished goes beyond conventional news reports to take a deep dive into the story of a different missing person each week. Host Marissa Jones brings you exclusive interviews with family members, friends, law enforcement, and experts. What will The Vanished uncover next?
- The Trail Went Cold: The Trail Went Cold is a weekly true crime podcast which explores baffling unsolved mysteries and cold cases. On each episode, host Robin Warder examines a new murder or missing persons case, tackling a wide variety of mysteries from different countries and time periods. After sharing all the details about each case, Robin offers his own personal analysis and theories about what happened.
If you’re a fan of true crime, then queue up some of these great podcasts – you just may find yourself binge-listening to an entire series!
**Podcast descriptions courtesy of Apple Podcasts