How to Pack a Better Suitcase
Suitcases come in all different shapes and sizes; there are hard-shell suitcases with wheels and handles for easy maneuvering, soft duffel bags that collapse into themselves, and everything in between. While some people may know exactly what they need when it comes time to pack a suitcase, others may be a little less sure. For those who want to pack a better suitcase, we’ve put together a list of items that can help you pack smarter and lighter than ever before.
Consider this your personal guide on how to pack a better suitcase!
- Pack Your Shoes Separately: While it might seem like a good idea at the time, stuffing your shoes into your luggage will only make things more difficult when you get to your destination. Instead of dealing with smelly shoes and dirty clothes, consider using shoe bags to keep them separate. You can find shoe bags online or at a discount store near you, and they come in a variety of styles and colors. Just stuff your shoes into the bag before packing them away so you won’t deal with any dirt or odors during your travels.
- Roll Your Clothes Instead of Folding Them: Rolling clothes is a great way to save space, and if you use a vacuum seal storage bag, you won’t have to worry about wrinkles either. Just stuff your clothes inside the bag until it’s full, then remove as much air as possible by sucking out the air with a vacuum cleaner. Once the air is sucked out, seal the bag, and you’ll have a nice neat bundle of clothes to pack away.
- Pack Your Essentials In Your Carry On: While it might be tempting to pack all your toiletries and other essentials in your checked luggage, it is recommended to keep them with you in your carry-on; after all, you don’t want to lose your essentials if the airline misplaces your luggage. To help avoid any damage during travel, consider using a set of packing cubes. You can pack all your necessities into different sections of the cube without having to worry about any leaks or spills. It’s also always a good idea to keep a spare set of clothes in your carry-on in case your luggage gets lost.
- Use Pouches to Transport Small Items: Another way to organize your suitcase is by using pouches for small items like jewelry, hair accessories, and other essentials. There are travel pouches available at most stores that sell luggage supplies, or you can use ziplock bags. Using pouches and ziplock bags is a great way to keep your suitcase organized.
- Pack Your Clothes Around Heavy Items: When packing your bag, try using heavy items like shoes or books as the foundation for your wardrobe. Just place them on the bottom of your suitcase, then pack clothes around them until you’ve reached the top. This will help save space and make sure everything stays in place so when you open up your bag, you can easily access all your items.
- Lay Out Your Clothes So You Can See What You’re Packing: It’s always a good idea to lay out all your clothes before you pack them, just so you can get an idea of what items will work best together. Lay everything out on the bed or floor, then put outfits together like they would be in your suitcase. This will help save time and make sure you don’t end up overpacking.
- Pack Liquids In Plastic Bags for Easy Access: Although security will check through all liquids before allowing them on a plane, it’s still a good idea to place them into plastic bags (like ziplock bags) beforehand. This will make it easier to find what you need at the security checkpoint, and give you peace of mind knowing your liquids aren’t going to spill all over everything.
No matter if you are traveling for business or for pleasure, it’s important to pack your suitcase smartly! Use these tips to keep your things protected while traveling and to help you pack a better bag!